Monday, July 5, 2010

i go over the handle bars

To start lunch off at Hyde Park Bar and Grill we got some of their tasty fries and homemade aoli to go with out bloody Marys.  Over lunch i wondered if the guys in the Tour de France also had vodka and French fries for breakfast.  

We went to the park for to grill some steaks and play a little chicago big ball softball.  Not much softball was played, but we did lend a phone to a frolfer who had his disc taken by an angry mother.  The police came and sided with the mom.  Chess 0, angry mom 1.  Afterwards we watched the fireworks from the Great Lawn at Zilker.

Kasey and I start the ride back from the park after the fireworks.  Along the bike lane sidewalk, a set of curbs have no ramps.  I slow down to about 3 mph and exaggerate how to pop a little front then back wheelie for kasey.  When my back tire bounced off the curb during the back wheelie deal, it send my bike cartwheeling over my head and i go over the handlebars.  I catch myself easily, since i was going so slow, but the my bike shoes stay clipped in to the pedals and I slam the back tire off into the sidewalk to the front right of me.  The tire is bent out of whack and my rear dérailleur breaks off.  We walked the bikes about 18 blocks through downtown and lock them up at the State Trooper guard shack at the Capitol - can't find much of a safer spot to lock up a bike in Austin.  

I think it's a Shimano 105 dérailleur, cheap stuff.  I've probably gotten about 6K miles out of it.  Maybe it's not built to be slammed into sidewalks...

1 comment: